Sunday, July 20, 2008

Back to Reality

Why is it you have to rest up after a vacation? Maybe it is just that it is such a shock to the system to get back to the daily routine. No matter. We’re back and we’re rested. We’ve unpacked, done the laundry, and put the suitcases away. We logged about 4200 miles on the trip to Montana. And my rear end shows it! It was great fun, but it sure is good to be home. Wonder Dog is glad too!

We went to the Farmers Market in Overland Park yesterday. Us and about 1000 of our closest friends! We picked up Sister and away we went. Decided to have breakfast first at the Farm to Market Café on Santa Fe in downtown Overland Park. The breakfast strata was delish, as always, and the coffee was the blackest and hottest in town. It was a great way to start the day.

After perusing the produce at the farmers market, we picked up a watermelon, some sweet corn, peaches, candy onions, and yellow tomatoes. And…my favorite tomato preserves.
Sister got some berries and cut flowers.

Hubby grilled the corn last night, along with burgers. I sliced a couple of the yellow tomatoes and we had quite a feast. Grilling the corn brings out the sweetness and caramelizes some of the kernels. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. The tomatoes were pretty tasty, too.

The Sunday paper is filled with Back to School ads today. I love this time of year! Many people think of spring as a time of new beginning. That is what September does to me. It has since I was a little girl. If I breathe deep, I can still smell the sharpened pencils and new crayons. But, this means that I need to start getting ready for the new school year this week. Summer break will be over in a few short weeks. I finished my summer classes on Friday, so I am ready to start planning for my students. The planning is almost as much fun as the teaching! I’m ready!

1 comment:

Judy said...

I agree with you that September and back to school is always an exciting time. I love setting up my classroom each August!

That first day is always a challenge. I have hall duty and greet students coming into the building in the mornings. That first day or two, students, especially the kindergartners, look confused and overwhelmed. By the end of the first week, they are hugging me and greeting me by name.

Great job with your blog!

Judy - from the Ottawa Web 2.0 Tools class